After a long, long wait, the renovations at Howard Lake Field have finally begun. Thanks to the Unbelievable Gesture by former CVCC pitcher and current Atlanta Brave, Tim Hudson and his wife, Kim, back in the spring of 2010, in which they donated $200,000 to the CVCC Baseball program to update their facility, the construction crews have finally mobilized at The Lake.
After 2 years of planning and generous financial assistance and support by our president, Dr. Glen Cannon, as well as from an anonymous donor, CVCC’s master plan of renovation includes:
- New dugouts with on field storage, concessions, restrooms, climate controlled luxury boxes
- Two story building behind home plate housing a climate controlled press box on the upper floor with coaches offices and storage on the bottom floor
- New concrete and brick paver concourse and walkway surrounding the entire complex
- Gated entrance with brick columns
- New protective privacy fencing behind the grandstands and leading to right field entrance
- Complete landscaping around the ballpark
Along with the new wall and fence enclosing the park that was constructed in 2010, the renovation costs will approach the one million dollar mark. The project will be phased, as the dugout/concession buildings have begun and will be Phase 1, with the press box building to be Phase 2, while the aesthetics portion of the project to be completed in Phase 3. The dugouts are projected to be completed by April 1, 2013.
Once completed, there is no question that CVCC Baseball will have one of the finest junior college baseball facilities in the southeast.